I love doing crafts with my kids and they love being creative but all of those supplies can get expensive fast! Lately I have been researching ways to make things for them at home for fraction of the in store cost. Last week we had DIY Water colors and this week we did this Homemade playdough. This playdough only costs around $0.50 to make all 4 colors! More than likely you have most, if not all, the ingredients in your kitchen already!
Easy Non Toxic Homemade Playdough
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt (I used sea salt but table salt is easier)
- 2 tbs cream of tartar (found on spice ailse for around $2)
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Combine all ingredients except water in bowl and mix well
- Add boiling water and stir until the dough forms and stops sticking to the bowlStep 3) remove from bowl and continue to form into ball (If it is sticking to your hands add a touch more flour until it stops)Step 4) Seperate into 4 smaller balls
- Add a few drops of the food coloring to each ball and knead until the color distributes evenly
- Have FUN!!!
Note: It is easier to add the food coloring to the boiling water instead of kneading it in later! I figured this out a little too late lol. Prepare all dry ingredients leaving out the oil. Seperate into 4 smaller bowls. Add 1/2 tbs oil to each and stir. scoop 1/4 cup boiling water from the pan and add the coloring to it and pour into one bowl. Repeat for all 4 colors. Then stir until formed.
My boys had a blast playing with their playdough! when we finished I put each ball into a small ziplock bag to keep it fresh for later play!