I am terrible at being sick! I am not the type of person who can just lay in bed and rest even though I should. I am always looking for ways to alleviate the symptoms so I can function some what normal! Hot, steamy showers are great to break up congestion and when I add a cold soothing shower disks I can get back to daily life.
These homemade cold soothing shower disks are great for colds, congestion, and flu symptoms. They contain eucalyptus essential oil which has the same effect as Vicks or other chest rubs. It looses everything up and opens your air ways so you feel relief immediately. The added steam from the shower makes the relief faster and last longer. I love using them for my boys when they are feeling under the weather as well!
- Small bowl
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons water
- Muffin tin
- Muffin liners
- Eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils
- Lavender essential oil (optional)
- Start by mixing together the baking soda, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl. The baking soda absorbs the oils and cornstarch and salt keep the disks from crumbling.
- Slowly add the water until you get a thick paste.
- Line your muffin tin with paper or silicon liners and add around one tablespoon of the mixture into 8-10 liners. Now let them dry overnight or pop them in a 300˚F oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the disks are completely dry, top each with three to five drops of eucalyptus essential oil and then three to five drops of peppermint oil. You can also add a few drops of soothing lavender for complete cold season comfort. Let the disks dry for an hour, and then they’re ready to use.
- Carefully remove the disks from the silicon liners or peel away the paper liners. If a shower disk sticks to the paper, just leave it in the liner. The next time you’re feeling a little under the weather, drop a disk in your shower, let the hot water break down the soothing helper, and enjoy the scented steam.